Its spring time and the rhubarb is growing like weeds. Of course my brand new puny plant isn’t producing yet. Might be because of the attack of the weed eater? I was saved from a spring without rhubarb by our neighbor who offered some of his! Thanks Chuck!
Yesterday I tried a new rhubarb crisp recipe. It tasted great and would have been better had I thought about adding vanilla ice cream. Or maybe even Cinnamon ice cream.
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen (thawed) rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place rhubarb in an 8×8 pan or divide between 6 ramekins.
- Mix together sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan, stir in water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over rhubarb.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- Mix together flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt and walnuts. Stir in melted butter until even distributed. Crumble over filling.
- Bake at 350ºF for 45 min or until rhubarb is cooked through and filling is bubbly.
Makes enough for an 8×8 inch square (9 inch round) baking pan or 6 ramekins.
Rhubarb bread is a family favorite. I really don’t have one recipe I like best. I’ve found things I like about all the different ones I’ve tried. This particular recipe is one of the best.